For two weekends in a row I have thrown my passion for cake into creating this delicious rhubarb crumble with vanilla and almonds, which to me is one of the ultimate summer cakes Last weekend I used it to impress my inlaws; this weekend my mum, aunt and uncle needed a serious treat after a hard day of moving my mum’s furniture and other stuff from a 3rd-floor appartment into temporary storage in our garage. Which was an excellent opportunity for me to refine my recipe and make it extra super-delicious
This rhubarb crumble with vanilla and almonds is packed with lovelyt sweet & sour flavours. The tart and juicy rhubarbs soak for hours in a sugar and vanilla mixture, and then they are covered with a sweet and super-crispy crumble made with oatmeal, packed brown sugar and chopped almonds. The almonds makes the crumble extra crispy, and the brown sugar adds a discrete touch of caramel.
The idea to use packed brown sugar came from the Danish chef Timm Vladimir who has replaced all the regular sugar in his crumble with packed brown sugar. As I wanted to emphasize the rhubarb vanilla combination and didn’t want the caramel flavour from the brown sugar to dominate, this recipe uses 50/50 brown and regular sugar.
For the second batch I allowed the rhubarbs to soak in sugar and vanilla for 4-5 hours, which left them with just the right degree of tartness. Adding a little corn starch to the rhubarb filling gives you a lovely thick rhubarb sauce underneath the crumble which is easy to scoop up. And you want to scoop it up, as the vanilla-sweet rhubarb sauce is definitely one of the best elements of this delicious rhubarb crumble with vanilla and almonds
Recipe – serves 6-8 ppl.
- Preparation time: ab. 10 min.
- Resting time: 4-5 hours
- Baking time: 22-25 min.
Rhubarb vanilla filling
- 8 stems (ab. 550 g) of fresh rhubarbs
- 150 g sugar
- ½ vanilla bean pod, the seeds
- ½ tbsp corn starch
- Clean the rhubarb stems, cut them into 1 cm chunks, and put them in a bowl.
- Cut the vanilla bean pod open and scrape out the seeds. Mash them together with a little sugar to separate the seeds before mixing them into the rest of the sugar. Add corn starch and mix.
- Mix the rhubarbs, vanilla sugar and corn starch together and set it aside for 4-5 hours, stirring every now and then to mix.
Oatmeal and almond crumble
- 1 tart mould, ab. 28 cm
- 100 g butter, preferably room temperature – plus a little extra to grease the tart mould
- 120 g oatmeal
- 50 g almonds, chopped coarsely
- 60 g reg. sugar
- 60 g packed brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Grease the tart mould with butter and spread the rhubarbs evenly in the mould.
- Knead the ingredients for the crumble together and crumble it over the rhubarbs, covering as much as possible.
- Bake the rhubarb crumble for 22-25 minutes, until the crumble is golden, and you can insert a toothpick into a piece of rhubarb without resistance.
- Serve your rhubarb crumble with vanilla and almonds with cool whipped cream and/or sour cream with a little vanilla sugar (or sugar and vanilla extract) to taste.